[Sca-cooks] OOP: Victoria Sponge Cake -- THE ANSWER!!

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 15:20:30 PDT 2001

I sent my question to a reference librarians' email list I belong to, hoping
that one of my British colleagues had partaken of this cake at Brown's
Hotel, and could describe it.  The response I got was far better than I might
have hoped.  One generous librarian in Wales actually called the hotel for
me!  Here is her reply:

"I have just rung Brown's Hotel and talked to the Pastry Cook.
She tells me that the Victoria Sandwich is made from equal weights of
butter, sugar and self raising flour, plus 1 egg to each 2 ounces of
flour. The top is dusted with icing sugar and the filling is creme
chantilly (sweetened whipped cream) and strawberry jam.
I think most British cooks would use buttercream at home instead of fresh
cream unless it was a very special occasion and the jam is a matter of
taste!"

It's good to have friends in far places.

Thanks to all who offered information, suggestions, and hints.

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann  ***  rcmann4 at earthlink.net