[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Mon Jul 2 18:21:42 PDT 2001

Still:  chapter 3 of "The English Housewife"  (Gervase Markham, Michael
R. Best, ed. orig. pub.1615, this ed.1998)  "Therefore, first I would
have her furnish herself of very good stills, for the distillation of all
kinds of waters, which stills would be either of tin, or sweet earth; and
in them she shall distil all sorts of waters meet for her household; as
sage water, which is good for all rheums [discharge from lungs and
nostrils during colds--modern dictionary] and colics" [a pain in the
bowels--mod. dictionary]  (pg.125)  There is a lovely bit in "Martin's
Hundred" by Ivor Noel Hume about the first piece of pottery excavated
from this seventeenth century site which is near to  Jamestown Settlement
in Virginia, USA.  Dr. Hume found an alembic, which is a sort of bee-hive
shaped hood with a drip spout that sits over the pot in which the
material to be distilled is boiling.  The steam rises,  and trickles down
the walls of the alembic to run out of the spout.  There are several good
pictures in "The English Housewife".