[Sca-cooks] Further adventure at the impromptu open-air Chinese

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Jul 5 15:57:06 PDT 2001

Adamantius said:
> Among the unusually large assortment of flour-based
> goods (most still warm), which included steamed pork and cabbage buns,
> baked custard buns, rice noodle rolls filled with dried shrimp,
> scallion, and peanuts,

Were the dried shrimp in these rolls still crunchy? Or did you
somehow know these were originally dried shrimp rather than
fresh?

During my last foray into an Asian market I picked up a small bag of
tiny, dried shrimp. I've been wondering how I could use these. I was
expecting to just dump them into a soup broth sometime and cook them
a while until the dried shrimp re-hydrated.

So are there some particular dishes these dried shrimp are usually
cooked in? Or does someone have some other ideas of what to do with
a bag of tiny, dried shrimp?

We have period shrimp recipes. Were these shrimp always fresh?
Or did they dry or salt shrimp as they did fish?

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net