[Sca-cooks] Report on SKORDALIA

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 13:10:56 PDT 2001

Great thanks to the person who lead me to the Skordalia site on *About*
search engine.

I made it last night and it came out grey and clump-thick.  It tasted OK, but
I wondered if I had made it correctly.

I just made it again and I must say:   *BINGO!!!*   This one was it. It was
white and creamy and smooth and it tastes great.

Differences:  I was in the middle of making the skordalia yesterday and found
that my fresh garlic was in fact, rotten So I had to use powdered garlic.  I
used a regular baking potato instead of a *creamy* one.  I think I put in too
much vinegar & lemon juice.

Today I bought new garlic cloves, used less wine vinegar and measured the
vinegar and lemon juice.  And I used a smaller, creamer potato.

Phillipa

SKORDALIA

1 medium potato (waxy variety such as Yukon Gold or Red Bliss)
2 1-inch thick slices white bread, crusts removed (day old is best)
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 T lemon juice
1 T red wine vinegar
½ C olive oil
Ground black pepper to taste

Boil the potato whole until it is tender. (about the size of a tennis ball )
Set potato aside to cool.

Peel garlic cloves and mash them with the side of a heavy chef's knife.
    Sprinkle salt over the mashed garlic and continue to press with the side
of the knife until a paste has formed.

Peel and mash the potatoes.
Add the garlic, lemon juice and vinegar.

Dip the bread, a slice at a time quickly into a bowl of water. Squeeze dry.
Crumble bread into the potato mixture, stirring to blend.

    When you have a fairly smooth mixture, begin to add the olive oil a
tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition.
Add pepper.

Spoon into a shallow bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or as long as overnight to
allow the flavors to blend.
Bring to room temperature for serving.