[Sca-cooks] OOP Wild Pigs in America/ NZ

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:41:50 PDT 2001

	> <laff> I would hope so! Sounds like an adventure for the
suicidally inclined
	> to me! My father got chased by a wild boar once and only escaped
by running
	> uphill and climbing a tree. He said it was one of the most
terrifying
	> moments in his life.
	I can see how wild boars are very, very scary critters. However, I
was not aware that they were
	native to the Americas. Are we talking of the Eurasian wild boar
(our local northern variety),
	sus scrofa? Or are those feral domestic pigs (presumably of a 17th
or 18th century breed, not
	those modern pink tubs of lard)? They taste completely different,
and the European market for
	'wild pig' is exclusively for sus scrofa. Other breeds of pig are
sold as 'pork', though the
	historic breeds fetch higher prices.
	Yours in Curiosity Giano

Well actually this happened in the South Island of New Zealand way back in
the 40s or 50s. All four legged animals (and quite a few of the two legged
ones also) are imported into NZ, there are no native quadrapeds.
So whatever was currently in England or Europe in the C.19th is it really. I
do know Captain Cook was the first to release pigs in NZ and even has a
breed named after him. Someone Down Under might know. Edward?

Ciao
Lucrezia

"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.