[Sca-cooks] OOP Wild Pigs in America/ NZ

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue Jul 10 15:31:42 PDT 2001

Was written:

> I can see how wild boars are very, very scary critters. However, I
>was not aware that they were
> native to the Americas. Are we talking of the Eurasian wild boar
>(our local northern variety),
> sus scrofa? Or are those feral domestic pigs (presumably of a 17th
>or 18th century breed, not
> those modern pink tubs of lard)?

There are both in the US and they are imports.  "Wild Russian Boar"
presumably the first you named was imported for sport hunting in various
parts of the US and has gotten loose.  The second is the result of domestics
swine gone feral.  It is my understanding that after a couple of generations
domestic swine in the wild seem to revert? breed back? to the archetypal
swine as is presumably exhibited in the Arkansas Razorback... one lean mean
rooting machine.   There is a swine like critter called the javalina or
collared peccary which is native to the US southwest but it is my
understanding that they are not true swine and are strictly vegetarian.

Regarding feral hog I have eaten said critter done for a feast, was quite
tasty indeed.  Game laws vary state to state in the US, some states consider
them vermin.  For an authentic taste it could be argued that they are more
near what was eaten in period than "domestic" factory farm raised swine.

Daniel Raoul