[Sca-cooks] Spanish baking question:

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 07:39:32 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

-----Original Message-----
From: "Decker, Terry D."
> I see two possible equivalencies in English for "break down the dough."
>
> A "brake" is a device for kneading large amounts of dough. The modern
> version looks something like a large, motorized wringer. You seldom find
> one outside of an industrial scale bakery.
[snip]

I doubt that would be it.  "break" and "brake" are homonyms in English, but
not in Spanish.  The verb in the Spanish text "romper" (to break), is the verb
that is used to describe what happens when you drop a earthenware pitcher or
snap a twig in two.

> The device makes a great deal of sense when one considers that a medieval
> baker was often called upon to turn 240 pounds of flour into bread during a
> day's baking. So if this recipe deals with large quantities of dough, the
> "breaking" may refer to kneading.

I don't think it does.  This is a sweet dough, for specialty items, not a
basic bread dough that would be made in massive quantities.

> The other possibility is the one you mention, breaking down the gluten. It
> takes about 30 minutes to get gluten breakdown by hand (less if you don't
> use salt, which strengthens gluten). So, looking at the ingredients, I
> would estimate about 10 minutes in a mixer. When you stretch the dough and
> it doesn't form strands, you've broken down the gluten.

It took more like 20-25 when I tried it last night.  The final product was not
to my taste, so I don't think I'll be trying it again.  Although there is a
variant on the dough, with added butter, which is used as a crust for a
ricotta cheesecake.  *That* I might try sometime.
> Bear

Thank you for your reply.  Thanks also to the other gentle who replied -- your
message is sitting on my computer, which is ailing at the moment.  I'm having
to access my email via the web on my lord's computer.

Brighid

.sigless --