[Sca-cooks] Re: Treats for Diabetics

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 12 23:59:27 PDT 2001

Margaret asked:
> Has anyone worked with Splenda at all?
>
> As a diabetic, I can work my way aroung most *foods* served at an event,
> but the drinks are murder.  I'm going to try making sekanjubin with
> Splenda instead of sugar, but if anyone has tried it, or has any hints
> for working with Splenda, I'd love to hear them.

I think Margali may have experimented the most with Splenda among the
folks on this list.

A few weeks ago, after she posted some information on a website that
had Splenda based flavored "sugar" syrups available, I bought a dozen
different flavors including peppermint and unflavored. My specific
intent with these was to see if I could make a passable sugar free
Sekanjubin.  I have yet to actually try making any, though.

Note, that in things like the Creme Brulee(sp?) recipes given earlier,
the Splenda might work in the custard portion, but I don't think it
will carmelize properly if used on top.

Another reason I bought the Splenda syrups was to be able to make
snow-cones which I could eat. It had been years since I'd been able
to enjoy one. This has worked out rather well, although I found that
a blender does a lousy job at crushing the ice, so I went out and
bought myself one of the electric shaved ice machines.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net