[Sca-cooks] Gum Tragacanth Sources

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sun Jul 15 03:15:19 PDT 2001

Tempus est, erat, non est.
(Time is, Time was,  Time is not.)
--inscribed on an English sundial.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:17:06 -0500 Ted Eisenstein <Alban at socket.net>
writes:
>> it is suggested that gum tragacanth is used by pharmacists, presumably
as a >>binding agent for some kind of medicines.  It might be possible to
get it >>from a friendly local pharmacist if you only want small
quantities, though I >>haven't tried it.

>I also vaguely remember that it may be used as a binder-type thang
>in painting? when you're mixing your own oils, and perhaps as a
>similar
>item for those who make their own pigments for illuminations. . .
>Check really, really good art supply stores.
>
>Alban

Gum Traganth is avilable in art supply stores, however it is in liquid
form.  If you have a natural food store near you, see if they order from
'Frontier'; it's an herb co-operative out of the mid-west.  Frontier very
likely carries it, however, you probably have to order a pound of the gum
in powdered form.  Another one to ask about is 'Indiana Botanic Gardens'.
 This company does mail order to the general public, but their retail
catalogue is extremely disappointing.  If you can get a nice buyer at the
natural foods store to help you--let you look at the catalogues--it
shouldn't be too difficult.

   Elizabeth