[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Now Puff Pastry/Phyllo was re: Pastillus]

Marian Rosenberg Marian at therosenbergfamilies.net
Thu Jul 19 16:32:42 PDT 2001

I sent this originally from the wrong address.

-M
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:36:52 -0400
From: Brucianna <Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at Washcoll.Edu>
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Now Puff Pastry/Phyllo was re: Pastillus

From: "Siegfried Heydrich" <baronsig at peganet.com>

>     I've found that working phyllo is a 2 person job, and the easiest thing
> to do is to have a (food safe) pump sprayer full of melted butter kept in a
> bain marie when not actually spraying. One person flips the sheets while the
> other sprays and adds fillings. Being in a cool, fairly high humidity
> environment helps, too.
>     Doing it alone generally results in somewhere between a third and a
> quarter of the sheets getting ruined, but are still useable. They just look
> like tatters . . . And yes, have EVERYTHING ready before you open the
> package of dough, the time you have to work it is very short, indeed.
>     For wrapping breasts in phyllo , I found that if you spray & lay the
> sheets, fold them in half, and then lay the breast and wrap it in the
> buttered layers, it's a whole lot easier than wrapping each sheet
> individually.
>
>     Sieggy

I'll talk with the other camp cook, he's the one who thought puff pastry
would be easier than making a thin dough on site.  I'll have to find out
his reasons, or if he's just one of those people who can do it without
the trouble.  (My aunt makes home made phyllo with no trouble and all
the rest of the cooks in the family look on mystified since we tend to
have the usual tattered phyllo that we bought problems.)