[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Now Puff Pastry/Phyllo was re: Pastillus]

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 20 06:48:25 PDT 2001

> I've found that working phyllo is a 2 person job, and the easiest thing to do is to have a (food safe) pump sprayer full of melted butter kept in a bain marie when not actually spraying. One person flips the sheets while the other sprays and adds fillings. <SNIP>>>>>

THEN REPLY:
<<I'll talk with the other camp cook, he's the one who thought puff pastry would be easier than making a thin dough on site.  I'll have to find out his reasons, or if he's just one of those people who can do it without the trouble.  <SNIP>

I've not followed this thread religiously, but it appears that there is a mixing of idea here.  Puff pastry and phyllo are two different products that behave very differently.  Phyllo (ultra thin sheets of delicate pastry) could require two people, while puff pastry (sheet of pastry folded over on itself many times to create a layered effect when cooked, like Hungry Jack biscuits) should be simple for one.

Forgive if I simply muddied the water of this discussion.