Custard thinkening medievally? (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Trifle (?OOP) was victoria)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 19 20:21:29 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Druighad at aol.com wrote:
> A good basic but I am used to using 8 yolks, 1 cup sugar, 4 oz. cornstarc=
h, as a stabilizer.

actually, to put a moderately medieval spin back to this, Scully's Cuoco Napolitano has the zabaglione recipe that is simply sugar, wine and eggs stirred as it heats into a stirred custardish thingy.  It does say to serve immediately, possibly because it destabilizes quickly as it cools.  they knew of yolk thikeners and there stability or lack thereof back in 15th c. Naples, so I'm thinking that most of those I've read from here would eventually like the challenge of the custard "without a net".  It would be a good goal eventually to work towards if pastry/pastisserie is ones personal gig.

Gets that communion with Maestro Martino going.

niccolo difrancesco
(I don;t channel spirits, but I've seen it on TV)