Fw: [Sca-cooks] Ingredients list

Cheryl Holland rhiannah at australis.aunz.com
Thu Jul 19 20:00:23 PDT 2001

> Liadan asks:
> At 10:48 AM 7/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >All,
> >How detailed do I need to be on my ingredients list.  For example:
> >
> >I'm tweaking the Spinach/Cheese Ravioli recipe by cooking them in
vegetable
> >broth instead of chicken stock (to address the vegetarians). If I use
> >vegetarian bouillion cubes, may I state I used the cubes, or do I need to
> list
> >the ingredients on the side of the box as well?
>

> I usually list it as "Pacifico Brand Organic Vegetable Broth" (or
> whatever). if they have severe allergies, they usually know what brands
> they can use. If not, they're always welcome to come back in the kitchen
> and ask (I save the carton so folks can check. Once I even taped the lable
> to the canned stuff on the wall next to the ingredient list :))
>
> good for you for changing the broth accomodate the herbivores :).
>
> --AM

The last time feastocrated (which has now been a while) my bookings person
(normally me too) had a list of all dishes and ingredients - (I tend to make
most of my stuff from stratch).  If I end up cheating and using a jar of
something that is noted in my ingredients.  I specifically ask when taking
bookings if the person(s) booking have any food allergies.  Occasionally
there have been a few hard to cater for allergies, but in cases such as
these I have had an off-board rate or have made a few special dishes.  If a
person has too many allergies I encourage them to go off-board.  If on the
other hand people do not bother to tell me before the day there is very
little I can do (the dishes are mostly done).  If it is a major problem I
only charge them off-board.

Being a non-professional there is only so much I can do, but I take the
opportunity to do what I can with the informaiton I am given.