[Sca-cooks] Re: Custard thickening medievally?

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 20 06:35:43 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

SPOON TEASE!
Could we have the recipe please? (Please, please...with cherries on top)

Lucrezia>>>>>

MEA CULPA!!  Gotta do some beads for that one.  HEre is my version with original:

Zabaglone

#220 Per fare quatro taze de Zabaglone, piglia .xii. rossi de ova fresca, tre onze de zucaro he meza onza de canella
bona he uno bucale de vino bono dolce, he fallo cocere tanto cha sia preso como uno brodeto.  Et poi levalo for a he
ponello in uno grando piatello davante alli Compagnone.

Zabaglaone (#220)
 For four cups of Zabaglone get twelve fresh egg yolks, three ounces of sugar, half an ounce of good cinnamon and a beaker of
good sweet wine; cook this until it is as thick as a broth; then take it out and set it on a plate in front of the boys.  And if you like
you can add a bit of fresh butter,

NICCOLO'S RECIPE
Serves 10-12     1 cup water to boil in double boiler

12 large egg yolks         1½ cups Madeira wine     2 Tbl cold butter
3 ounces sugar, to taste   1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon

In metal or glass mixing bowl (suitable for double boiler), whisk yolks and half of sugar together until pale and completely
combined.  Place over hot water (double boiler) and heat, stirring or whisking constantly.  Add the wine all at once and heat until
thickened and will hold ribbons on its surface for a short time.  Add cinnamon and stir in butter quickly so that it incorporates
before it melts.  If too strong, add a little water or grape juice Serve warm with fruit or candied peel.

ORIGINAL TEXT & TRANSLATION
Scully, T. (2000).  Cuoco Napoletano - The Neapolitan Recipe
        Collection: a critical edition and English translation.
        Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.)

Can be found on the web (with others)at my site:

http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/recipes_main.html

THfra niccolo difrancesco the repentant