[Sca-cooks] period cheeses, lactose-free cheesemaking

Linda M. Kalb lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 20 13:21:19 PDT 2001

Hmmm, making cheese with lactaid milk would be a good solution for you re.
your lactose intolerance.  I hope to attend at least one of the
cheesemaking classes at Pennsic and ask the cheesemaking experts about
using lactaid milk in the process. One of the cheese classes is going to
teach how to make a simple cheese that can be made at camp ("simple bag
cheese"), so hopefully I'll be able to practice right away, back at
camp!   Do you live in Ansteorra?  I used to.  I realize that Ansteorra is
very far from the Pennsic Wars but by any chance will you be at War?

>I'm lactose-intolerant. If I drink milk after taking my pills I'm ok if I
>don't get carried away but I'm not taking those pills right now because of
>other more serious problems (Barat's esophageal syndrome) so I'm staying
>away from milk. Same goes for cheese but I find it much harder to resist. If
>I know ahead of time and take precautions I can eat anything but new world
>peppers (I'm actually allergic to capsicum oil) and commercial curry powder.

New world peppers and commercial curry powder both sound like they would
not be period, so at least you ought not to have to encounter them very
often at period feasts (not that cooks don't compromise occasionally,
especially re. commercial spices, so of course you always have to ask!)

If no one else posts about it first, after I recover from Pennsic I'll post
to this group what I find out about making lactose-free cheese.

Inga Guthbrandsdottir