[Sca-cooks] period cheeses, lactose-free cheesemaking

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Fri Jul 20 13:49:07 PDT 2001

Hmmm, making cheese with lactaid milk would be a good solution for you re.
your lactose intolerance.  I hope to attend at least one of the
cheesemaking classes at Pennsic and ask the cheesemaking experts about
using lactaid milk in the process. One of the cheese classes is going to
teach how to make a simple cheese that can be made at camp ("simple bag
cheese"), so hopefully I'll be able to practice right away, back at
camp!   Do you live in Ansteorra?  I used to.  I realize that Ansteorra is
very far from the Pennsic Wars but by any chance will you be at War?

Inga Guthbrandsdottir

I live in Namron (Normam Ok). I probably will not get to Pennsic until after
I retire sometime in the next four years because both Bear and I work for
the state and find August the worst time to get time off as new equipment
starts coming in then. If you find out how to make lactaid cheese please let
me know. As I said before the only thing we are sure I am allergic to is
capsicum. I have been told that I really should not eat anything in the
cabbage and citrus families and highly restrict anything that gives me gas.
Anything fried is a no-no and I'm also supposed to avoid nuts and seeds. Oh
and no chocolate or caffeine. I stay with this much of the time but
occasionally eat things like cauliflower and beans. Since the doctor did not
restrict milk products but said to go easy on the lactaid pills I pick my
moments. It would be nice to add something back that I'm currently avoiding.
Margarite