[Sca-cooks] Re: Market

Marian Rosenberg Marian at therosenbergfamilies.net
Mon Jul 23 16:14:24 PDT 2001

> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Kitchens
> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:12:08 -0400
> From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler at chesapeake.net>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>
> I understand what you are saying.  However, given the givens, that's
> probably the only way you can get what you want.  And even then, finding
> some of the stuff you listed in your previous post would be difficult...I
> can't even find bitter oranges here at home!  I seriously doubt that,
> between the regulations of the Pa. Dept of whatever would handle this and
> the Coopers, having the market you suggest would be a viable thing to do.

For what it is worth, I wrote a letter to the Merchant Office (which
hasn't gotten a reply yet) asking: " If people were willing to help
organize it and contact people to sell and all those etceteras, is there
any reason why a future Pennsic could not have a stand or stands selling
fresh vegetables and farmers' market type things?"

Seeing as there are people who already sell food type health department
regulated things at Pennsic (frex: honey, spices, sekanjabin) I can't
see a reason why there would be a great deal of trouble planning
something for more than a year ahead.

Even -one- stand would be better than no stand.  And if it can't be a
local farmer stand, then a SCAdian run stand with all the funny foods
that they and their friends could find ahead of time.

> What I would suggest is that you contact Cariadoc's lady (having a senior
> moment...can't remember names....) who wrote an article on camping without
> a cooler.  It contained, as I recall, a number of recipes for medieval
> foods that can be prepared with stuff that doesn't have to be kept in a
> cooler.

I don't think that's her point.  Camping without a cooler for two weeks
eventually means no fresh fruit, and no fresh vegetables or going off
site.  Personally, I like my asparagus steamed not boiled to death then
canned.