[Sca-cooks] 'A cooked dish of lentils.'

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Tue Jul 24 13:58:35 PDT 2001

	Gwynydd wrote:
> While I haven't read the recipe, I would think that not soaking the lentils
> is quite reasonable.  I often cook using brown lentils and I have never
> soaked them.  They are usually done in about 30 - 45 minutes (just
> guessing - I don't normally time them.  They are done when they are done
> *smile*).  This is one of the glories of brown lentils.  One can decide to
> do, say, a pasta sauce using them and it is done in less than an hour.  Red
> lentils cook even faster but I find they tend towards mushiness and I prefer
> the brown ones which keep their shape better.

	I have rarely seen any recipes that call for soaking
lentils (lentils and split peas are wonderfully convenient
that way!).  Personally, I don't bother.
	As for brown vs. red lentils, I like to use a mix of
the two for lentil soups and stews -- the red ones cook down
and add richness, while the brown keep their shapes and add
texture.  And all on their own, with no intervention from the
cook.  I love lentils.  :)

		-- Ruth