[Sca-cooks] Fighter food

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jul 25 09:26:57 PDT 2001

Sorry about the empty message.

> >Ginger drink (with sugar)
> What kind of Ginger drink? This sounds great!
> I want some!

Right now, my current favorite ginger syrup is ginger, lemon, sugar and
water: 4 c. sugar and 2.5 c. water, bring to a boil, add 1 to 1.25 c.
lemon
juice. Simmer until reduced by almost half, adding some shavings of ginger
and lemon peel. Then add 3-4 inches of ginger root, chopped, and boil a
bit longer. Add a little more lemon. Soak over night and bottle.

I've also had switchel-style ginger drink made by substituting ginger for
mint in the sekanjabin recipe and that was yummy too.

> This sounds great, but will this be at a
> central area for the fighters or carried
> around?

It's at a central area, right off the fighting field.

>If at a central area then (I'll
> get crucified for this) I like the thought
> of the powdered chicken soup mix. If you
> have a way to keep it even lukewarm the
> fighters would love it. Trust me, one
> of the most wonderful things I've ever
> had was a cup of chicken soup at the
> Calontir camp last Estrella.

Hm.. We tried the chicken soup at Crown Tourney (ok, Hen in Broth, lots of
broth) and it didn't seem to go over like gangbusters with the fighters. I
considered it this year, will ask around for next year and see if we want
to try it, but there are heat and safety considerations with an open stove
that make me a bit antsy, IF the payback doesn't turn out to be lots of
happy fighters.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa