[Sca-cooks] OOP: Coleman oven

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 07:50:04 PDT 2001

Some of you folks may remember that I bought a Coleman oven last year, and
had troubles with it.  (This is a metal box that sits on top of a propane
stove.)  I couldn't get the thermometer in the door up past 375F, but my
biscuits scorched on the bottom after the minimum baking time.

I brought the oven to the Great Northeastern War, but this time I brought a
standard oven thermometer to put *inside* the oven.  I discovered that the
temperature inside is about 100 degrees higher than the door thermometer
claims.  Armed with this information and some sourdough starter, I was able
to make a satisfactory loaf of bread.  Triumph!  Now I figure that if
I can bake a yeast bread in the thing, I can certainly manage other kinds of
baked goods.  Cookies! Pies! Empanadas!

Damn, I wish I were going to Pennsic this year...

Brighid ni Chiarain

--- Robin Carroll-Mann

--- rcmann4 at earthlink.net

.