[Sca-cooks] cheese color

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Tue Jul 24 05:37:24 PDT 2001

Tempus est, erat, non est.
(Time is, Time was,  Time is not.)
--inscribed on an English sundial.

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:03:15 -0400 Philip Troy <troy at asan.com> writes:
>On Wednesday 25 July 2001 08:36, Margaret FitzWilliam wrote:
>>
>> I am remembering a passage in one of the "Little House" books by Laura
>> Ingalls Wilder where someone was watching their mother make butter

It was Ma Ingalls, and Laura and Mary were watching her.  (Sorry, I'm a
Little House ... fan.)

> On the other hand, the question of why it would
>be necessary for home-made cheese to look more like factory-made
>cheese comes up.

  In the Little House book (either  ... Big Woods or ... on the Paraire)
Ma was colouring the butter because it was winter-time, and the cows'
milk was not the same rich colour it was when the cows were grazing (as
opposed to being fed hay).   Perhaps it was not so much a question of a
store-bought ideal as an  appeal  to the richness of summertime food.

    Elizabeth