Turkish Delight ( wasRe: [Sca-cooks] Chocolate)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 09:09:18 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----

From: Elaine
Koogler

You know, I thought Turkish Delights were a period sweet, though I've never
seen

a period recipe or any real documentation for this.  Anyone have
any thoughts on

this?

There is a Catalan/Spanish confection called aloxas/alosses/alojas.
It is made from sugar, water, rosewater, and almidon (wheat starch), cooked
until thick, and then poured into a box.  Recipes appear in the 14th
century _Libre de totes Maneres de Confits_ (with a marzipan underlayer) and in
the _Manual de Mugeres_.  I *know* we had an extended discussion about
aloxas some time ago, but cannot find the messages.  There may be earlier
Arabic recipes for this kind of sweet.

Brighid ni Chiarain

--- Robin Carroll-Mann

--- rcmann4 at earthlink.net