[Sca-cooks] Re: 13th century bread/slow food

kylie walker kyliewalker at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:30:30 PDT 2001

>From: tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
>kylie walker wrote:
> > the author talks about the writings of Ibn al Awwam, a 13th century
>agronomist.
>
>Ibn Al-Awam: Le livre de l'agriculture (Kitab al-felahah). Translated by
>J.J. Clement-Mullet. Second edition. Two vols. Tunis 1977.
>
>I didn't see the book so far. Seems that it came into my bibliographical
>notes by way of (me) plundering footnotes.
>
>Th.

I am ashamed of my laxity in taking so long to say thank you for this
information, but life has been rather hectic this past month. So, belatedly,
thank you! I don't think I am going to be able to get an English version,
but I'm still hoping.

I know someone also posted a message on the list asking about slow food.
So, to quote the official blurb: Slow Food is " an international movement
with 60,00 members and more than 400 convivia (chapters) in 35 countries  of
the world, which focuses on conviviality, hospitality, education in taste
and promotion of food culture. Slow Food is aimed at food and wine
enthusiasts, those who do not want to lose the myriad tastes of traditional
foodstuffs from around the world and those who share the snail's wise
slowitude."

As I understand it, it both aims to encourage taking the time to appreciate
good food and wine properly, and also to protect and preserve typical
products, food traditions, etc.

Where I am, the local chapter organises a program of events throughout the
year - anything from bakery tours to a smokehouse day.

Have a look at www.slowfood.com

Hope that helps!

Kylie