[Sca-cooks] Re: 13th c. bread/English Translation

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 26 10:12:29 PDT 2001

   Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

Noticed this morning that Kylie was looking for
the source on 13th century bread and Th. had provided
her with the citation to the 2 volume French
translation. By doing some academic level searching
through cataloguing records, I've found what seems
to be at least a partial English translation. It's
available from at least 11 libraries and is listed
as in-print on amazon in the UK but out of print
in the USA.

It was published as:
A MOORISH CALENDAR:  FROM THE BOOK OF AGRICULTURE
OF IBN AL-AWAM.
author: Ibn al-'Awwam, Yahya ibn Muhammad
translation: Peter and Philip Lord
Wantage:  Black Swan Press, 1979, 1978.
54 pages with illustrations.
ISBN: 0905475054

Amazon UK has it on sale for £6.95.
Amazon UK contains a review that reads:
"Exquisite, hand-made book from 12th C Arabic
This exquisite little book was a fraternal project:
my father, Peter Lord, of Black Swan Press,
Wantage, England, decided to translate and publish
the book after conversations with Glubb
Pasha (Sir John Glubb, definitive Western writer
of Arab history). The original 12 Century Arabic text
was written by Ibn al Awam as an agricultural year book.
My father commissioned his brother, Philip, to translate
from the French, and then edited, illustrated (hand
wood-engravings and scraper-board illustrations),
hand-set the text (on a Victorian Platten press),
and hand-bound each volume.
Not only is the text a fascinating glimpse of
12th C farming life in Moorish Spain, but the book
itself is a jewel of hand-crafted publishing."

This may provide at least part of what you are
seeking.

Sincerely, Johnna Holloway