[Sca-cooks] Mint Jelly?

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Thu Jul 26 18:45:26 PDT 2001

Being half brit, halp aussie and a great Lamb lover I can probably help here...

>Greetings.  This is specifically addressed to folk with European
>eating experience.  Do the English/British or others use the same
>type of mint jelly with lamb that Americans do?  We are (most of us)
>used to a clear, apple-based, mint-flavored, solid jelly.

Traditional Mint Sauce is normally made from Steeping Mint Leaves (usually home
grown in Australia in a rampant patch at the back of the garden) in vinegar
with a teaspoon of sugar to cut the vinegar.  Very commonly used in my family
in the 70's and 80's

The mint jelly seems to be a commercial thing for when you are too lazy to make
mint sauce.  I use mint jelly to glaze broiled/grilled lamb chops late in the
cooking process.  I do use the mint jelly sometimes but usually mint sauce for
roast lamb.

Drakey...who prefers Tomato sauce on lamb instead.

ps.  Watch the wife explode in exasperation at the tomato sauce statement.
     heh heh...
pps. Nothing is nicer that cold roast lamb on sandwiches the next day, with
     a crispy roast potato illicitly taken from the fridge...yumbo.

>When I
>was in York for Easter, the mint stuff was a mint sauce, made of
>real mint leaves, and it was a sauce - runny like sauces are, not
>stiff like the jelly we are used to.  Is our mint jelly commonly
>used abroad or does the mint stuff come from the sauce tradition?

mint sauce is definately traditional, mint jelly does have an extended history
but is considered more of a convienience. (I think it's mentioned in a PPC
issue, maybe?)