[Sca-cooks] barley tea

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jul 30 09:46:06 PDT 2001

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa replied to me with:
> > Correct. I wasn't claiming it was. It's another of those items that
> > is sometimes difficult to omit without causing an uproar. As to
> > infusions as drinks, what about barley tea?
>
> Barley tea is a drink for invalids, as far as I've been able to find it.

This was not quite what I remembered, so I went looking through the
Florilegium and found several period recipes, mainly in the
infusions-msg file. I also saw your name, Jadwiga, several places in
those discussions, so I doubt you are unfamiliar with barley tea.

Anyway, my interpretation is that while it was sometimes
recommended to treat specific conditions, it was also recommended
for folks that were well or at least those who had specific humours.

"Tisane which is made of barley, if anyone knows how to make it, is good
for well people and for those with a fever
."

"...barley kashk, prepared every day.... Its description in accordance
with the needs of our master is as follows:"

"It is suitable for warm
temperaments, for young people, in Summer and in Southerly regions."

So I think this could be served as a beverage at an SCA event. Whether
folks would drink it, or even try it, is another question.

I've gone ahead and pasted the message I took these comments from,
below. My appologies if this is too long but I thought some who
hadn't seen these before might be interested.

Some of these seem to be a bit more complicated than the "barley tea"
that I bought in the store a while back.  The one by Moses Maimonides
might be an interesting redaction exercise, although like some of the
period jalab recipes, even after redacting it I'm not sure where I
would find some of the ingredients.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

> Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 17:00:15 -0800
> From: "Crystal A. Isaac" <crystal at pdr-is.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Herbal infusions
>
> LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> > You may be right here but the drinking of such infusions were almost if not
> > entirely for medicinal purposes.  It does not surprise me that there is no
> > mention of this in period cookery sourses. To research this information, IMHO,
> > you would have to turn to herbals and medicinal manuals.
> >
> > Ras
>
> The following are some medieval sources for tisane. I thought tisane
> meant "barley water" so perhaps if I go look again I'll find more
> tisanes that are "herb water." Please remember nearly all of these are
> translations perhaps the word tisance was used for convenience.
>
> What does "stampe" mean in 14th century english/context of making violet
> water?
>
> Thanks,
> Crystal of the Westermark
>
> Anthimus. De Observatio Ciborum. circa 526CE. Translated by Weber,
> Shirley Howard. _Anthimus, De Observatio Ciborum: Text, Commentary and
> Glossary with a Study of the Latinity. Dissertation
_. Published by E.J.
> Brill Ltd., Leiden 1924.
>
> LXIIII Of Tisane
> Tisane which is made of barley, if anyone knows how to make it, is good
> for well people and for those with a fever
. Diluted with warm wine, a
.