[Sca-cooks] What is a 'Latwerge'

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 1 09:47:24 PDT 2001

Volker Bach wrote:

> I am going to try a translation of a small, 16th
> century German cookbook, and I have come a crupper
> almost immediately. Now, I know what a 'Latwerge'
> is, and I made a lovely one out of tart cherries
> last autumn, but how do you render it in English?
> Does anybody know?
>
> Gratefully
>
> Giano

The definition seems to range somewhere between sauce, conserve,
jam/marmalade, and pastille. In other words, there seem to be
applications of the word which all seem to refer to mashed-up, reduced
fruit and sugar, but its consistency and use seem to vary (this after a
brief web search for "latwerge").

Perhaps you could post the recipe, or at least the context for the word?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com