[Sca-cooks] What is a 'Latwerge'

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Jul 2 03:56:39 PDT 2001

"Cindy M. Renfrow" schrieb:

> My dictionary (Cassel's Worterbuch) gives it as 'electuary':
> ("a medicine made by mixing drugs with honey or syrup to form a paste" -
> Webster's)
> ("A drug mixed with sugar and water or honey into a pasty mass suitable for
> oral administration.."-- Amer. Heritage)
> ("a pasty mass composed of a medicine, usually in powder form, mixed in a
> palatable medium, as syrup, honey, or other sweet substance: used esp. for
> animals and administered by application to the teeth, tongue or gums" --
> Random house Dict.)
>
> >From Ein Buch von guter spise, translation copyright 1993 Alia Atlas
> " 85. Einen fladen von wisseln (A fladen of morella cherries)
>      Der einen fladen wslle machen von wiseln. der nem sie und bereche in
>      die stile abe. und siede sie in einem hafen. biz sie trucken werden,
>      mit sines selbes bre. und sh* te sie denne uz und laz sie derkeln.
>      und slahe sie durch ein tuch. und smir ein taveln wol mit honige. und
>      schte die kirsen dar uf. und setzze die taveln uf holze on den luft.
>      biz daz ez trucken si. hst der dez luftz niht. so setze in einen kelen
>      hof. und mache daz wrfeleht. und snid ez und bestrauwez mit wrtzen.
>      und iz als ein latwergen.
>      He who wants to make a fladen of morella cherries, he takes them and
>      breaks off the stems and boils them (the cherries) in a pot until they
>      become dry, with their own broth. And pour them then out and let them
>      cool there. And pound them through a cloth. And lubricate a board well
>      with honey. And pour the cherries thereon. And set the board of wood in
>      the air, until it becomes dry. (Do) not hst (possibly heat) its air. So
>      set in a cool yard. And make that diced. And cut it and sprinkle it
>      with spices. And it (is) as a latwergen. (A latwergen is something,
>      which through boiling, is a thicker juice.)"
>
> As I read this,  the fladen of cherries is supposed to come out "as a
> latwergen", or as a thick paste.  What is your recipe?

Very much like this. BTW, there's a minor
translation mistake in there. The mystery sentence
should read: "Place the board on (into) the 'luft'
(that is not 'air' in Middle German) until it is
dry. If you do not have one, put them out into a
cool yard"

Would this be a confit or an electuary? (the
context for the Latwerge I have is not in the
least medical)

Gratefully

Giano