[Sca-cooks] Meat and not potatoes feast

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Jul 2 12:24:45 PDT 2001

Olwen the Odd schrieb:

> ok then...Milk bun???  What the heck is it?   1 saffron thread...mix all the
> dry ingredients (except the saffron)....there is no other mention of this
> poor saffron thread anywhere else that I could find in your recipe.  Is it
> used as a garnish :) ?

Woops - sorry. The saffron goes in with the milk.
A 'milk bun' is something quite common in Germany,
a small loaf roughly the consistency of a
hamburger bun, sweet and light. The name comes
from a dough made with plenty of milk. No idea
what would come closest in God's Own Country
(hamburger buns should work, I guess) but I have
even used toast slices as a substitute on occasion
:-)

> Do you have a recipe for the stuffed pork roast?

>From memory:

a 2-3lb pork roast, either for rolling up or cut
open to stuff

200 grammes Gruyere or Emmental cheese (I don't
know what would be period, but the redaction I
used suggests these two and they work fine)

200 grammen boiled ham

2 hard-boiled egg yolks

2-3 tblsp ground ginger

a pinch of nutmeg, cloves or cardamon (all work,
and I don't recall what the original called for)

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil to grease pan and roast

Mache es also (as they say in German period
cookbooks): put the ham, cheese, egg yolks, ginger
and nutmeg into a food processor (or mortar, if
you're feeling masochistic) and blend into a
paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stuff
into the roast. Rub the outside of the roast with
olive oil and bake or grill (takes about 1 - 1 1/2
hours).

Hail and Farewell

Giano