[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jul 3 15:48:08 PDT 2001

Having grown up in Henry County, Virginia, the second largest moonshine area
in the US, I can certainly define "still" for you.  It is a "machine" that is
used for distilling various types of spirits from various types of grains and
other ingredients.  Typically what was used by the moonshiners was corn,
though wheat and other grains were also used.  The distilling process
basically, as I understand it, allows for the liquid in the original mash
mixture to be distilled away, leaving the strong, alcoholic spirit.

Kiri