[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jul 3 16:57:54 PDT 2001

Kiri commented:
> Having grown up in Henry County, Virginia, the second largest moonshine area
> in the US, I can certainly define "still" for you.  It is a "machine" that
> is
> used for distilling various types of spirits from various types of grains
> and
> other ingredients.  Typically what was used by the moonshiners was corn,
> though wheat and other grains were also used.  The distilling process
> basically, as I understand it, allows for the liquid in the original mash
> mixture to be distilled away, leaving the strong, alcoholic spirit.

Except that stills can be used for distilling other items than
alcoholic beverages. Perfumes for instance. And I think that purpose
was likely to be more prevalent until late in period.

I think there were some other definitions of 'still' in period also.
A 'still' room for instance? Perhaps a Solarium, but I can't remember
right now.

Also, I believe what you are trying to capture is the vapors that
are boiled off of the mash or other material and that that is what
is condensed and later used, rather than what is left behind.

> "Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:
> > The glossary is now up to 184K.  Here are some more words for your
> > consideration.
> > still

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net