[Sca-cooks] OOP: Victoria Sponge Cake

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 5 06:33:04 PDT 2001

deborah minyard wrote:

> How about pastuerized eggex?
> Maddalena

Hmmm. The problem with pasteurized eggs is the same as with raw eggs,
unless, of course, they're cooked. It kind of depends on what you're
concerned with.

If, for example, you're worried about salmonella, and are one of those
people that like your eggs cooked to the consistency of concr... I mean,
well-done, it should be noted that salmonella dies at 157 degrees F.,
which makes for a moderately well-done egg (eggs start to coagulate at
around 140 F.).

I'm not even sure what temperature pasteurized eggs are brought to, but
if it's not enough to actually cook them, I don't imagine it could be
too high. I also don't have any data on what temperature the allegedly
safe, hot-syrup forms of buttercream get their eggs to, and whether it
really is materially safer to do it that way, from a pathogen
standpoint. It's kind of like arguing that hollandaise is safer than
home-made mayonnaise. If done properly, it isn't.

Ultimately, I think most of the preservation is accomplished by a
comparative lack of air contact, and lots of sugar. Pasteurized eggs
might last longer than simple raw eggs, but it might be hard to predict.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com