[Sca-cooks] OOP: Victoria Sponge Cake

Elysant1 at aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 16:54:09 PDT 2001

pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com writes:

<< If that's the buttercream recipe you use. I use one that has you add your
 sugar syrup to the beaten egg whites, then add the whipped butter by
 spoonsful until it becomes buttercream. Absolutely amazing stuff--it's
 like satin. Not what I use for anything complicated, as it is a bit too
 soft to handle overmuch, but lovely for simple piping, and divine for
 filling. >>

I have never seen mention anywhere of this type of buttercream used on a
British Victoria Sandwich. :-) We do not add eggs to what we call "butter
icing".  As I said in an earlier post, and as Vara also said (IIRC), butter
icing in Britain is just icing sugar and butter or cream with a flavouring
such as vanilla essence added to it.  Some people add a little (like a
teaspoon or so) of milk or cream into it also.

Elysant