[Sca-cooks] Happy 4TH Of July!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 5 07:05:04 PDT 2001

Christine Seelye-King wrote:

>         I missed out completely on fireworks, though, Atlanta was getting some
> pretty serious weather around about dark, and even though I tried a couple
> of locations to see them from, I was tired and had already been soaked
> through once during the day, so I just heard the Boom Boom Boom from home
> without the lightshow (except for some pretty spectacular lightning).  Ah,
> well, I guess I can plug in my video tape from the Y2K celebration and watch
> the Eifel Tower get lit up with fireworks, and that should do me until the
> weather clears enough to go out and blow up some small ordinance myself.

Good to hear you can legally pursue what Jean Shepherd used to call the
Essential Thundering Report. The fascisti in the local government have
pretty well eliminated all but the large, highly controlled, allegedly
public fireworks displays, but none of us felt like dealing with the
heat, the noise, and the crowd.

So, we fired up the grill, I located and downloaded an mp3 of Jean
Shepherd's radio broadcast of his short story, "Lud Kissel and the Dago
Bomb That Struck Back". Classic Independence Day allegory ;  ) .

I had to explain to my wide-eyed son that yes, once upon a time,
children all across America used to be able to buy fireworks and ignite
them, personally, and that in New York City, the first firecrackers
(theoretically illegal even in my day, but the laws were not
aggressively enforced)  would pop at around 8 AM, reach a crescendo at
perhaps 10 or 11 PM, and continue until three or four the following
morning.

Adamantius, who has just noticed a link between the whole fireworks
addiction, occasional semi-intelligent playing with matches, and cookery
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com