[Sca-cooks] Summer period desserts

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Jul 5 10:30:52 PDT 2001

    As would I! My household just bought an Italian Ice machine - just the
thing for these hot Trimarian summers. Being able to serve them with period
syrups would be great.
    I did mass production ice cream in deep hotel pans, once. The kitchen on
site had a walk-in freezer inside the walk-in cooler. I cooked off the
custard, and laid it into the pans. then into the cooler, to be brought down
to about 36 degrees. I went into the freezer, popped out the bulb, put in a
power tap, screwed the bulb back in, and plugged in my big hand mixer.
    Once the custard had cooled, I put the pans in the freezer, and used the
mixer to keep them beaten. I detailed a scullery to go in and whip them
about every 10 minutes, and to let me know when it was starting to thicken
up. Towards the end, I spent about 20 minutes in the freezer continually
beating them before it was stiff enough that I worried about smokin' the
mixer. Many cloaks were required for this, BTW. The freezer was about 20
below . . . It was a tad grainier than what you'd get from a commercial
dairy, but you'll have that.

    Sieggy