[Sca-cooks] Re: Corn Bread

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:04:34 PDT 2001

>    If the Spaniards brought back South American recipes, where are they?
>I think you have to be in contact with a group of people on their turf,
>as it were, before you incorporate their food into your life.

A very good point.  IIRC, there is a description of a viceregal banquet held
in Mexico City in 1536, in Bernal Diaz de Castillo's "Conquest of New
Spain".  All the dishes served are of Spanish origin, except for the roast
turkey.  While the turkey was embraced rather quickly into the European
diet, most other foodstuffs weren't.  When dealing with colonial Spanish
eating habits, it helps to keep in mind that the upper class wanted to
maintain that sense of separation between themselves and the native
population.  Eating tortillas and posole and stewed beans was unthinkable
for a wealthy hidalgo, not when he had enough money to afford wheat bread
and pork.  The Puritan colonists were not as class-conscious, and had no
qualms about eating native foods. I have heard mention of letters from the
English colonies lamenting the lack of wheat for making bread, and griping
about how the corn bread just wouldn't rise.

If the people in question want to eat corn dodger and hoe cake, let them.
They'll have to make it without baking powder or soda; just let them see how
they like it.

Vicente