[Sca-cooks] Corn Bread

Mastercahankyle at cs.com Mastercahankyle at cs.com
Fri Jul 6 05:36:41 PDT 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> My experiences in Europe indicate that even today, corn, i.e., maize,
> is not a commonly eaten food. This person is arguing that since
> Renaissance Europeans made bread, they must have made cornbread once
> they discovered corn.

I have my doubts about maize. Cornbread is strictly a Southern US dish as far
as I know, if someone can prove me wrong, please do.  I am very fond of
cornbread.

> late period Spanish persona, they can freely eat tomatoes, potatoes, and
> corn.

Well, again I doubt corn, tomatoes possible, however, the Spanish did bring
back "white" potatoes from Peru, according to an article I read in my
Encarta96 Encyclopedia I have loaded in my computer.  My guess would be that
if they did eat "white" potato, it was skinned and boiled.  Also, I believe
the Russians used potatoes in the late 16th century,  A friend of mine from
Clan O'Choda has a cookbook translation from around 1535 which has a couple
of potato recipes in it.  I am trying to contact him so I may get the
information on the book so that I can try and get a copy.

Kyle