[Sca-cooks] Rue/Roman sausage recipe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 20:38:13 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/4/01 10:46:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cassea at teleport.com writes:

<< We were reading the properties of rue in my herb book and are not sure if
we
 really want to use it.....>>

The amount of rue used in any given recipe is of no consequence to anyone
inclyding pregnant women. I would suggest reading the properties of nutmeg
sometime. When all is said and done most anything we eat  has 'properties' of
some kind. The manic hype about not using rue is totally unjustified.

<< I seem to remember a thread earlier in which someone was talking about what
 they substitute for rue in a particular recipe, but I can't find the
thread.>>

There is no substitute that mimics the flavor of rue. Someone may have
suggested something that might be substituted for it but the actual flavor of
the true herb would definitely be wanting. I know of know period sources that
describe substituting any other ingredient for rue. Substitution would
therefore make the resulting dish a modern recipe based on a period source.

<< -Cynwise

Ras