[Sca-cooks] Happy 4TH Of July!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 5 22:34:55 PDT 2001

Maire said:
> I made (for the first time)
> sekanjabin and the lemon concentrate, and brought them to add to our
> water.  I think I'm in *love* with the sekanjabin, which I made with
> fresh mint and champagne vinegar (because that's what I had in the
> house).  I'm going to start keeping a bottle of it in my feast basket
> for feasts (I rarely drink alcohol at feasts, and it'll be a _great_
> alternative to soda pop). <g>

They can be a great alternative to alcoholic drinks, except for those
that have to watch all that sugar in the sugar syrup. :-(

My pardon, if I've said this too much, but you might be interested in
trying some of the similar period beverages using sugar syrups, both
with and without vinegar. A number of these I don't have redactions for,
and perhaps, may have never been previously redacted. If you try some
of these unredacted ones, I for one, would love to hear your comments.
(and where you found some of the ingredients. :-( )

Anyway, check this file which contains period recipes both with and
without redactions. In the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
jalabs-msg        (51K)  1/23/01    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/jalabs-msg.html

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net