[Sca-cooks] Re: [trimaris] Smithsonian Stuff

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 10:40:27 PDT 2001

Sieggy was one one of a whole spate of people who commented:
>     You're kidding . . . these people want $170 for what we would consider a
>light Queen's luncheon?!?!? And only $125 for members . . . Ye gods . . .

You know, guys and guyettes: The Smithsonian is paying for the cooks
and servers. They're paying for decor. They're paying for
entertainment. They're paying for advertising, etc. etc. etc.

And this is a FUND RAISER. You'd be amazed at how LITTLE money
museums get/make to keep them going. There's all sorts of stuff in
store rooms that have to be carefully light and climate controlled so
the collection doesn't deteriorate. Same goes for many of the
exhibition halls. Sure, some rich folks donate money for exhibition
halls with their names on them, but somebody has to pay for the
unglamorous parts of the museum - the janitors, the folks in the
coat/umbrella check room, security, light bulbs, repairs and
maintenance, electricity, heating and cooling, humidity controls,
etc. etc. etc.

Of course we can do cheaper dinners. All we pay for is food and the
rental of a park or a hall for a day, and we generally charge close
to cost. All the labor is volunteer and we're not supposed to be
making a profit.

Cheese. Get real.

Cranky Anahita
who has studied museology and volunteered in museums accessioning and
describing collections.