[Sca-cooks] Medieval Iron Chef

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 22:20:46 PDT 2001

bill mayfield wrote:

>   A queston for the members of the list.
>
>     Would an "Iron chef" style "cook-off" be feasable
>    done with period foods and ingredients?

We did it last year, and are doing it again next month, at Japanese
Tourney, in a regular type of city park, the weekend after Pennsic, when
people are trickling back home to Caid.

A few rule changes:

5 judges instead of 4 to avoid ties.
3 hours instead of 1, for lack of "power tools" like rice cookers,
blenders, etc.
Theme ingredient is known in advance because our barony does not have a
budget like a major TV network.  [Last year's Plum Battle grocery bill
was only about $100.]

Our baron has a great outdoor kitchen set-up with a propane-fired stove
with oven, lots of tables, etc.  As long as the "Chefs" are civilized
and can share their tools and toys, it works out just fine.  We raised
boucoup bucks for the barony last year by raffling off the judge-ships.
I can send you a copy of the event chronicle I've posted here before,
contact me off-list.

Chairman Selene