[Sca-cooks] Medieval Iron Chef

kattratt kattratt at home.com
Sat Jul 7 19:04:36 PDT 2001

Well we didn't do it but I figured out how to do it...

1 feast. 6 courses (or whatever). Two chefs, cooking most of the day not
just during the dinner.  So the one hour limit we got rid off.
Now the trick is this.  The chefs use a "traveling kitchen" set up.
((Those from my Canton (Falcon Cree) know who I am talking about and can
pop out the Lords name if so desired, as I can't remember who it is.
But he brought it to Passage East IV and was very helpful.)) This would
allow the feasters to view the cooking during feast. (see below)
Use a seperate dishwashing team to retrieve and wash dishes throughout
the day, so that the chefs do not get in each others way.

To keep the "surprise" theme element, the chefs can know a list of
possible themes and be prepared thusly. However to make it exciting for
the feasters, have the chefs preparing the "High Table Feast" during the
feast.
As each course is served to high table, it is served to the populace
just after.  This is a change from the show as well in that the dishes
are served "immediately".

Courses could be, 1 Appetizer type of thing, 2 salad and soup type of
thing 3 Main Course, 4 Dessert.  Forgive my lack of knowing period
terms.  This was simply a suggestion at the time.

As far as where to do it? Well that was our problem.  In theory it could
ideally be done anywhere as the kitchens are mobile the dish area would
have to be in an area that is large and I have no clue if there is a
portable dishwasher type of set up out there as I have yet to see one.
But my thought on that at the time was well with the scenic walls I have
I could do this anywhere with a kitchen on site.  Using portable
kitchens usually means gas so I would want the "Stadium"/feasthall to be
outside.  use the actual kitchen during the day for either extra cooking
area for both chefs or simply a dishwashing area.
I would most certainly limit the number of attendants for the feast.

We never got to hammer out the rules, as we eventually rejected the idea
as cool but not likely within the time we had to prepare.  I would love
to put something like this together one day though.  I think we actually
had the thought of using 4 chefs with 2 courses apiece, and if I
remember correctly we actually had some fools, ahem... victims, ahemmm
sorry volunteers... for the feast just things came up and it got
changed...

I have done on other type of "Iron"... type of an event that the group
will be redoing again next year I think.  They are alot of fun.
Nichola Buscelli
formerly
Nicholas of Falcon Cree