[Sca-cooks] period sweets

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 09:50:43 PDT 2001

>...I shall be IN persona.. a woman of 10th century Al-Andalus...
>what would be the proper sweetmeats
>that I would make and offer to my 'guests'...
>
>Islamic Empire - 10th century..
>
>thanks
>'bella / Aine

Go to:
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html

There's a link there to the 13th c. Andalusian cookbook, in English
on line - not 10th c. but real Andalusian Muslim.

Also there is Lord Cariadoc's Miscellany, which contains a large
number of SCA period Islamic recipes, some from the 9th or 10th c.,
also available through the URL above.

There are also some SCA period Muslim cookbooks and recipes included
in the two-volume cookbook collection available for purchase from
Lord Cariadoc, information available at the URL above.

If you can find the book "In a Caliph's Kitchen" - i got it via
Inter-Library Loan - it contains recipes from a number of SCA period
sources, many 9th and 10th c.

Also, there's a new book - which i recently purchased - called
"Medieval Arab Cookery. Among it's many interesting essays, many with
period recipes - is a translation of al-Baghdadi's cook book from the
Abbasid period.

There is a huge wealth of actual period Islamic recipes, some as
early as the 10th century.

Anahita