[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Sweets

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 9 11:28:47 PDT 2001

Aine wrote:
>as I shall be IN persona.. a woman of 10th century Al-Andalus...
what would
>be the proper sweetmeats that I would make and offer to my
'guests'...

Have you looked in the 13th century Andalusian manuscript found in
Cariadoc's _Collection..._?  At the end of the manuscript are nearly
2 dozen recipes for sweets, including marzipan.  Many are not what
we would call "candy" but are a sweet with flour or starch paste,
etc, and filled with something sweet from sugar or honey.  Some
might be similar to modern Arabic recipes.  I don't know what might
be in al-Baghdadi...

Alys Katharine