[Sca-cooks] Happy news

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 10 06:23:36 PDT 2001

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> hmmm....an interesting idea.....
>
> --Anne-Marie, who takes her first apprentice at Coronation :)
>
> >Many, many congrats! I look forward to hearing you bi...comp... inform
> >us of all that you are learning in your new working relationship! They
> >didn't do anything too bizarre like having you peel the first of many
> >onions you'll peel in Her Excellency's service, did they? (Oh, wait,
> >that was me...)
> >
> >Adamantius

'S'truth! Having no access to details of any Dark Ages apprenticeship
agreements, I kind of had to go SCA culture instead. My Viceroy, who is
a Pelican, had borrowed from some versions of Ye Old Basicke Chivalry
Squiring Ceremony, and has presented all of his proteges (all two of
them, or is it three, Andrea?) with a bowl of sudsy water and a towel,
saying, "Let this be the first of many batches of dishwater you will put
your hands into in my service..." Or words to that effect.

I thought it was nice, amusing, memorable, and properly focussed; all
the things a ceremony should include, so I adopted the onion thing as my
particular slant on it for Puck's benefit.

As random circumstance would have it, this was done at a particularly
busy Twelfth Night, so rather than do it at Court, we simply rounded up
all the Laurels and interested parties we could find at the time, and it
seemed we had a preponderance of Bluff, Hearty, and Manly Cooking
Laurels (tm) present, so of course, lacking an agave worm in the bottom
of the bottle of Mescal, all the Laurels took a bite of the peeled onion
to seal the bargain. It seemed pretty Julius Caesar to me... .

I mean, how many times will I get to make Puck roll his eyes at _me_,
rather than the other way around?

Most of the rest was pretty extemporaneous, but I recall stressing the
fact that Wulfrith/Puck-Robin/Hey-you would be taught my craft, with a
view toward attaining mastery of it, and be taught how to be a peer of
the Society by standing at my side and helping this peer serve the Crown
and people of the Kingdom. Etc., etc. Ya hadda be there...

Oh, and I presented Lady Marion with a token [bribe?] in earnest of my
wish to remember that his marriage is a prior commitment to any working
relationship between her husband and myself.

But I think what people will remember is the onion...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com