[Sca-cooks] for the glossary & the cold food thread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 10 06:34:21 PDT 2001

Christina Nevin wrote:

> flamme  (aka bawme):  baste
> -- Cury on Inglysh: Forme of Cury  p.132 #157  Tourteletes in fryture.  Take
> figus & grynde hem smal; do Þerin saffron & poedur fort. Close hem in foyles
> of dowe, & fye hem in oyle. Claryfye honey & flamme hem Þerwyt; ete hem hote
> or colde.
> -- Cury on Inglysh glossary p.188
>
> I must admit this one had me scratching my head for a sec - flame in honey?
> huh? that sounds bloody dangerous (I still have a large thin patch on my
> right hand from where a glob of honey from a pork chop hit me 3 Christmases
> ago - it was excruciatingly painful and still aches when it gets too near
> steam).
>
> Ciao
> Lucrezia

And then there's that Apician recipe that calls for frying dates in
honey. Which, when you consider its boiling point, isn't all that
outlandish, if a bit dangerous.

Bawme, I assume, as in balm, used as a verb? Didn't see it in CoI, but
then my search was quite cursory.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy