[Sca-cooks] OOP Wild Pigs in America? was: Wild pigs WAS Camels

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Tue Jul 10 02:59:07 PDT 2001

Christina Nevin schrieb:

>         Daniel Raoul
>         Wild pig too, they've got a great market in Europe for feral hog
> from what
>         I've heard.  Makes me wonder, lots of nuisance feral hog in Florida
> and
>         Georgia.  Tried to get some folks talked into a period boar hunt.
> Picture
>         it, every one in garb...  beaters in an arc driving in the beasts,
> boar
>         spears, boar swords, bows at the ready... great sport as the beast
> charges
>         tusks gnashing.   I told them I would take photos... from 10 foot up
> a tree.
>
> <laff> I would hope so! Sounds like an adventure for the suicidally inclined
> to me! My father got chased by a wild boar once and only escaped by running
> uphill and climbing a tree. He said it was one of the most terrifying
> moments in his life.

I can see how wild boars are very, very scary
critters. However, I was not aware that they were
native to the Americas. Are we talking of the
Eurasian wild boar (our local northern variety),
sus scrofa? Or are those feral domestic pigs
(presumably of a 17th or 18th century breed, not
those modern pink tubs of lard)? They taste
completely different, and the European market for
'wild pig' is exclusively for sus scrofa. Other
breeds of pig are sold as 'pork', though the
historic breeds fetch higher prices.

Yours in Curiosity

Giano