[Sca-cooks] OOP Wild Pigs in America? was: Wild pigs WAS Came ls

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Tue Jul 10 07:23:06 PDT 2001

There are both a native version and imports. The wild Boars that are found
in Arkansas are the result of domestic pigs that were turned loose to forage
on their own back in the late 1700's-early 1800's. Known as razorbacks these
are a very dangerous animal and will attack without warning. The native is
not really a pig. It is the javelena found in the south west United States
and further south. It's appearance is similar to a small wild pig with long
hair and long sharp tusks. This is a rather shy critter but dangerous if it
thinks its cornered. I'm not sure but I think it may be an endangered
species. Margarite

I can see how wild boars are very, very scary
critters. However, I was not aware that they were
native to the Americas. Are we talking of the
Eurasian wild boar (our local northern variety),
sus scrofa? Or are those feral domestic pigs
(presumably of a 17th or 18th century breed, not
those modern pink tubs of lard)? They taste
completely different, and the European market for
'wild pig' is exclusively for sus scrofa. Other
breeds of pig are sold as 'pork', though the
historic breeds fetch higher prices.

Yours in Curiosity

Giano