[Sca-cooks] OOP Wild Pigs in America? was: Wild pigs WAS Came ls

Tue Jul 10 07:35:43 PDT 2001

The collared peccary or javelina (Tayassu tajacu) is native to the Americas
and ranges from the U.S. Southwest to northern Argentina.

The wild boars under discussion are feral hogs mostly descended from
whatever varieties were imported from Europe and were abandoned or escaped
into the brush from the 16th to the 19th Century.  The U.S. Civil War added
to the population in some parts of the country.

The difference in taste is the difference between being mash fed and
foraging in the woods.

Bear