[Sca-cooks] e: [Sca-cooks]OOP Wild Pigs in America? was: Wild pigs WAS Camels

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Jul 10 09:29:06 PDT 2001

    Hogs go feral at the drop of a fence, and revert to their default nasty
feral form in just a generation or two. Given the number of hogs gone
native, I doubt that any of the wild strains don't have something in the
pigpen . . . The legendary Ozark Razorbacks, I am told, got a lot of its
size from the Poland China hogs that got loose from the early settlers. Or
it could be one of them damyankee stories . . .
    Pigs were used locally to clear out an island full of rattlers back in
the settler days here - they dumped a herd of hogs ashore, and just let 'em
run. In a year the island was clear of snakes, and the pigs were nice & fat.
Needless to say, the island was soon very popular with hunters, as their
meat was said to be especially sweet & succulent . . .

    Sieggy